I made this beautiful tray of Focaccia this evening. I just had to share it. Nothing smells better than fresh baked bread right out of the oven. I can't wait for my husband to get home from work. He will probably eat half of what you see here.
1 1/2 Tablespoons Active Dry Yeast or Instant Yeast
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Cups Warm Water (105 - 115 deg) If using instant yeast have water at about 70 degrees
16 1/2 Ounces Unbleached Bread Flour
1 Tablespoon Salt
6 - 8 ounces Unbleached All Purpose Flour
Can add garlic and herbs to the dough
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand 10 minutes. If using instant yeast you can skip this procedure.
2. Add 16 1/2 Ounces Bread Flour and beat with paddle attachment for about 3 minutes or until smooth.
3. Switch to the dough hook and add unbleached flour 1/2 cup at a time until desired consistency. Dough should be slightly tacky.
4. Knead for 5 minutes or until proper gluten development. Do a window test.
5. Round dough and place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise to double. 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
6. Punch dough down and allow to rise again, then punch down.
7. Oil a sheetpan with olive oil and place dough onto it stretching it to fit the sheetpan. Let it rest and stretch some more. When it is the size of the sheetpan brush with oil and put caramelized onions and any other toppings and let it rise a little, no more than 1/2 hour.
8. With your fingertips dimple the dough and spread with olive oil.
9. Bake at 450 degrees until bottom is nicely browned.
Toppings: Any combination of Caramelized Onion, Sundried Tomatoes, oregano leaves, chives, garlic, rosemary, sage, coarse salt, basil, olives, parsley, sauteed bell peppers, shallots, parmesan cheese etc.