This was a popular cake for Easter. The Blood Oranges are in season and I stashed some fresh cranberries in the freezer last year when they were in season.
The spring flowers are from my garden. They are such happy little flowers and remind me of the beauty of having time to enjoy them.
ANGEL FOOD CAKE WITH BLOOD ORANGE & CRANBERRIES
12 Ounces Egg Whites
1 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
6 Ounces Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
4 Ounces Cake Flour
6 Ounces Sugar
Zest of 1 Blood Orange
1 Cup Chopped Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
1. Sift together the cake flour and 6 ounces sugar.
2. Whip egg whites until foamy and add cream of tartar and salt. Whip to soft peak.
3. Continue whipping and slowly add 6 ounces sugar.
4. Add Vanilla and whip to firm peak. Do not over whip.
5. Remove from mixer and transfer to a large bowl.
6. Gently fold in flour sugar mixture.
7. Gently fold in zest and cranberries.
8. Pour into ungreased parchment lined tube pan and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes.
9. Cool in inverted pan. When completely cool run a knife around the cake to release it from the sides of the pan.
Juice of 1 blood orange and enough powdered sugar whisked in to make a thick but still pourable mixture. Pour this mixture over the cooled cake. Let dry several hours before cutting.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
BLOOD ORANGE & CRANBERRY ANGEL FOOD CAKE
Labels: Angel Food Cake, Blood Oranges, Cranberries
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
this must be delicious! so nice and yummy!
Post a Comment