For the Topping
1 1/2 Ounces Unsalted Butter
3 1/2 Ounces Golden Brown Sugar
1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon
3 Large Pears (peeled, cored & thickly sliced lengthwise)
For the Cake
8 Ounces Unsalted Butter (room temp)
5 1/4 Ounces Golden Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Grated Ginger (peeled)
3 Large Eggs (room temp)
2/3 Cup Molasses
1 Pound All Purpose Unbleached Flour
1/2 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
12 Liquid Ounces Buttermilk (room temp)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Make sure it is accurate with an oven thermometer.
- Line a 9" x 3" baking pan with parchment paper, can also use a springform pan. Spray with release agent.
- Melt together the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and pour into the prepared pan. Spread to completely coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place the thickly sliced pears in a circular pattern over the butter mixture. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a 5 quart mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter.
- Add the brown sugar and continue to cream for about 5 - 7 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. With a spatula scrape the sides.
- Add the ginger and mix to incorporate.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mix well, and scrape after each addition.
- Pour in the molasses and mix to incorporate. Mixture will look separated but this is OK. Scrape the bowl.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, ending with the flour. Mix only enough to bring the mixtures together and mix only on low speed.
- Pour the batter on top of the pears in the baking pan, smooth the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest for 20 minutes in the pan then invert it onto a cake plate. Serve slightly warm.
- You can microwave each piece of cake before serving it for 15 seconds just to warm it without any loss of quality.