The birthday girl loves to play bridge, thus the inspiration for this cake. The flavors were chocolate cake, raspberry bavarian cream, raspberry jam and chocolate ganache.
Here is the ganache, cake & raspberry bavarian cream recipe. I used a good quality raspberry jam to spread on each layer of cake before applying the filling.
1 1/2 Pounds Semi Sweet Chocolate
24 Ounces Heavy Cream
Bring the cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate. Stir with a whisk until the chocolate is completely melted. Cover and leave at room temperature. Make this one day in advance so it sets up to an icing consistency.
Makes 2 9" round cakes.
15 ½ Ounces Granulated Sugar
9 Ounces All Purpose Flour
3 ¾ Ounces Cocoa Powder (sift after measuring)
1 ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 ½ Teaspoon Salt
2 Large Eggs (room temperature)
1 Cup Whole Milk
½ Cup Canola Oil
2 ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
7 Liquid Ounces Boiling Water
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and line with parchment 2 - 9" round cake pans.
2. This should be done by hand. No mixer necessary. When making X2 or X4 use a mixer.
3. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
4. Place all wet ingredients except water into another bowl and mix together.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
6. Boil water in microwave, add and stir to combine.
7. Pour into prepared pans.
8. Bake 30 to 40 minutes.
RASPBERRY BAVARIAN CREAM
2 Cups Milk10 Ounces Sugar
10 Egg Yolks
8 Gelatin Sheets
2 Cups Raspberry Puree
24 Ounces Heavy Cream
1. Soften Gelatin in ice water. Set aside.
2. Sprinkle a little of the sugar into the bottom of a saucepan and pour the milk over it. Bring to a boil.
3. Mix the remaining sugar into the yolks and temper the yolks and milk.
4. Cook the mixture to 180 degrees. Remove from heat and strain.
5. Add the gelatin and stir to melt it.
6. Add the raspberry puree and stir over an ice bath until cool to the touch but not set.
7. Whip the cream to soft peak and incorporate it into the raspberry mixture.
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
now that is a birthday cake....got any recipes for key lime pie?
Post a Comment