The lady golfers had their annual Holiday Guest Golf Tournament and their theme was Reindeer. I made a chocolate cookie reindeer and a chocolate sleigh. On top of the sleigh sat an orange cake with a cranberry bavarian wrapped up with buttercream to look like a gift box. A little creme anglaise and a dusting of powdered sugar and of course the reindeer's red nose. Made 96 of them and the ladies loved them.
I am now officially in the Holiday Spirit.
3 Ounces Unsalted Butter (soft)
10 3/4 Ounces Sugar
Zest of 3 Oranges (use microplane)
11 1/4 Ounces Cake Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
6 Ounces Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/2 Tablespoons Orange Juice (from the oranges you got the zest from)
3 Large Eggs
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of a 5 quart mixer beat the butter.
3. With your fingers rub the orange zest into the sugar.
4. Slowly add the sugar into the butter and mix for about 2 minutes.
5. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
6. In a measuring cut stir together the milk, vanilla and orange juice.
7. On low speed of the mixer add the dry ingredients alternately with the wet, ending with the dry.
8. Add the eggs one at a time and mix to incorporate. Do not overmix.
9. Pour the batter into a paper lined 1/2 sheetpan and bake for 18 - 20 minutes.
2 Cups Milk
10 Ounces Sugar
10 Egg Yolks
8 Gelatin Sheets
2 Cups Cranberry Puree or Juice
24 Ounces Heavy Cream
1. Soften Gelatin in ice water. Set aside.
2. Sprinkle a little of the sugar into the bottom of a saucepan and pour the milk over it. Bring to a boil.
3. Mix the remaining sugar into the yolks and temper the yolks and milk.
4. Cook the mixture to 180 degrees. Remove from heat and strain.
5. Add the gelatin and stir to melt it.
6. Add the puree or juice and stir over an ice bath until cool to the touch but not set.
7. Whip the cream to soft peak and incorporate it into the cranberry mixture.
To assemble the cake.
1. Cut the cake in half and fit it into a mold. Cut to fit.
2. Pour the bavarian cream over the cake.
3. Top with the remaining cake.
5. Cut into desired shapes and decorate.